- Population: 77,695,904 (2014)
- Capital: Ankara
- Geographical size: 783,562 km2
- GDP: 806.108 billion USD
- Official language(s): Turkish
- Currency: Turkish lira
Turkey: The bridge to the world!
There are so many reasons to come to Turkey! With a rich cultural history dating back thousands of years, today Turkey is a vibrant country where East meets West.
A world of scholarship opportunities
There are a wide variety of scholarship opportunities in Turkey. Every year, nearly 5000 international students are supported by the Turkish government’s ‘Türkiye Scholarships’, which includes the tuition fee, monthly stipend, accommodation, health expenses, transportation and Turkish Language courses. For more information please visit the Study in Turkey website
A place for living
Turkey offers a variety of cultural experiences to international students. Bringing together different cultures, religions, people, lifestyles and cuisines, Turkey is an exciting melting pot, where Eastern and Western cultures mix together.
Cost of living and study
Turkey offers significantly lower annual tuition fees and much lower living expenses than many other leading study destinations. According to the Mercer’s 2013 global cost of living rankings, Turkey’s metropolitan cities are amongst the most affordable.
A door to your dream job
One of the main questions you will have at graduation is “What next?”. International students graduating from Turkish universities have many options – including pursuing a graduate degree, returning back home with a widely valued diploma, or developing their career in Turkey or elsewhere.
Quality of education
The Turkish higher education system has developed significantly in the last few decades and offers a high standard of quality.
Turkey is part of the Bologna Process and the European Higher Education Area (EHEA). The EHEA helps ensures that higher education systems across Europe are compatible, with similar high-quality standards.
In The Times Higher Education BRICS & Emerging Economies Rankings 2014, there are 7 Turkish universities in the top 100 university list – of which three are in the top 10.
In the QS world university rankings, 9 Turkish universities ranked among the top 800, and 19 Turkish universities were among the top 1,000 METU Informatics Institute world university rankings.
Higher education in Turkey
- Student visas and immigration
- Scholarships and financial support
- Number of higher education institutions: 193
- Number of students in higher education: 6,062,886 (2015, Council of Higher Education (CoHE) statistics)
- Number of international students in higher education: 71,295 (2015, CoHE)
- Language of instruction: Most higher education programmes in Turkey are taught in Turkish language, but you will find many taught in English, Arabic or French language too.
- Typical tuition fees: Information is available from the Study in Turkey website.
- Average length of a full-time higher education programme in Turkey:
- Bachelor’s degree programme: 4 years
- Master’s degree programme: 2 years
- Doctorate/PhD: 4 years
For the essential information about studying in Turkey and applying for higher education programmes, visit the Study in Turkey website.